Monday, October 22, 2012

No Sugar- Day 1 and a Recipe

No workout today. Yesterday my head was pounding all day.... I never get headaches. I figured I was dehydrated and sleep deprived from being out of town this weekend. So I slept in- well, it was more like "my body just didn't wake up." That's ok, I'm fine with it.


Because my big success today was that I made it through with NO SUGAR!! ahhhhh!!! I'm so impressed with myself! I'm SUCH a sugar addict! I mean, it's my high. I love it. When I get stressed, happy, bored or tired- I head straight for treats. I haven't always been like this, to this extent. I'm not sure when I developed this habit. I'm sure it's been in the last 6 months..... 3 kids have killed me. Love them to death, but at times its hard.

Anyhow- as I mentioned yesterday, I'm not a "little bit" kind of gal. It's all or nothing. So I have to get rid of it. Although I do feel like I cheated because I did have a treat....


My uber-healthy friend gave me this recipe for Chocolate Crunchies or something like that. They are so good, and totally healthy. Meghan doesn't eat sugar, gluten, dairy, or processed foods and she's totally holistic in her health. So if she gives it the stamp of approval- then it's good in my book.

She was so kind and brought me a box of gluten-free, brown rice cereal last week so I could make these. Since I was headed out of town, I waited until today. And I'm glad I did!

The recipe:

1 cup almond butter (or organic peanut butter)
1/2 cup raw honey or agave
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder, but its less nutritious)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 T vanilla
1/4 t sea salt
6 cups brown rice cereal

You mix everything but the cereal... then when it's all combined, you mix in the cereal. 6 cups may be too much for your liking, and if so, just add less. I'm not sure how much I used because I didn't measure it. I just poured from the box until it looked good. You can divide out into small balls, using a cookie scoop, if you want. I just poured it all in a pan. Keep in fridge to keep it's shape.

This really was yummy. It tastes like a chocolate, peanut butter rice krispy treat. Which it is- but sooo much healthier. I had most of the ingredients on hand because I used to eat really healthy. But I was out of flaxseed, so I just used chia seeds- which are also awesome for you. I even had raw cacao on hand- impressive! haha.

So thank you Meghan for my treat- I don't think I would have survived today without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!