Friday, October 12, 2012

Treading Water

I swam yesterday but didn't have time to type an update....

It went ok. First of all- it was 40 degrees out. Which depending on which part of the country you live in, that's either a summer day or makes you want to put on a coat. Given that I'm down south, I was freezing.

I really didn't feel like swimming, but I got up, out of bed and into the car anyway. I was still feeling blah on the drive... and then something magical came on the radio. Owl City's "Good Time." Don't you LOVE that song???!! I know I do. It totally pumped me up. (For the record, I also love music video's, you can see it here)

Swimming was.... better. I did not take off my goggles this time. (Which was lesson #1.) My husband showed me some you tube videos and I tried practicing turning my whole body sideways to breathe (instead of just turning my head). I did ok. And then I realized I was freaking myself out- and once I started panicking  it all went downhill from there. I think I'm afraid I'm going to drown. Even though I can stand and there is a lifeguard watching my every move.  I did my 200 yards and called it.

A friend told me that when I'm done my swim, to go to the deep end and tread water for 10 minutes. She said this helped strengthen her arms and burn more calories. So I did that. Although I have no doubt that when the lifeguard saw me walk to the deep end he thought. "What is this idiot doing?! Man, I'm going to have to save her life... what a dummy!" For the record, I'm better at treading water than swimming. I didn't drown, or even come close.

When it was over, I was glad. Man, it's going to take a lot of practice... I'm wondering if I should take a swim class. Any thoughts??


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!