Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Swim AND Bike

I wanted to swim and run this morning so last night I dug out my old gym bag.... literally from about 10 years ago. I've always liked it and I've been carting it around for years now (obviously). When I opened it, no there weren't any old smelly clothes, but to my surprise..... there was a swimsuit, earplugs and goggles! I was shocked!


See.... I have NEVER swam before. But at some point, apparently I was planning to. In fact, I can't remember ever belonging to a gym that had a pool! Where this stuff came from is still a mystery. It's mine alright, I recognize the swimsuit and ear plugs, but I have no idea when it got into my bag. For most people it would just be a dirty gym bag... for me, it was a sign that I've always wanted to do this.

This morning I headed out and swam my 200 yards. I focused on form this time, and while I didn't do that great, I was feeling a bit more comfortable in the water. I also used a floaty thing that you put between your thighs. It helps your bottom side to float so you can get a feel for how you should be on the water. That did help. I have a long way to go, but that's ok. The lifeguard didn't look as worried about me.

Then I did my treading water for 15 minutes. While there, I was thinking about the gym bag. I never could figure out when that stuff got in there. I guess it'll remain a mystery.

Afterwards I changed into my running clothes. I am a naturally large chested woman... and I'm  also nursing.... getting into a sports bra isn't the easiest thing to do. However, getting into a sports bra, while your skin is damp from swimming for 30 mins... well that should be an olympic event in itself. Geesh!  

When I finally wrestled into that thing (actually 2, yes I have to wear 2 of them), I hit the track for some running. This track was a bit weird, it said that 6.5 laps is a mile. I find that odd- I've never seen a half lap increment on a track before. Maybe they are forcing everyone to run just a bit more. Anyway- I did 8 laps. I ran one, walked one, and so on for 8 laps. It hit lap 6 and started feeling tired... then Owl City's "Good Time" came on my iPod.... perfect timing! I think that should be my theme song since it keeps popping up whenever I need extra motivation. Overall- the run/walk was good. I wasn't tired after swimming like I thought I'd be and my muscles were warmed up too. I think the run was actually easier after swimming.

But now, at 2pm, yeah, I'm tired.

I've also managed Day 2 with no sugar (and I don't drink caffeine). So I'm lagging a bit. I have to get our daughter from school in about 45 minutes... I think I'm going to go play with my baby for a bit....

It's been a good day.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!